Are you looking to improve your backpacking skills or learn for the first time?! What better place to learn than Yosemite! Prepare for magic, adventure, and learning as you get the opportunity to backpack through the a section of the majestic Yosemite National Park! Along the way you’ll get one of the best views of Half Dome from North Dome and even get to see the iconic top of the Yosemite Falls! This 4 day, 3 night adventure will take you through the beautiful backcountry of Yosemite to reconnect you back to nature like never before. This is a moderate+ level backpacking trip that won't disappoint. While it does have some hill climbing sections, it is perfect for the beginner backpacker who wants a challenge with amazing surroundings! It will elevate your backpacking and hiking game to the next level! Count on us to hook you up with more than enough skills and everyone gets an info packet with tons of info about backpacking, gear, permits, and more!
Experience and learn in Yosemite with a medically certified and experienced Adventure Specialist who will be there to teach you several backpacking skills, motivate, encourage, and help you every step of way. We believe in equipping all of our adventurers who trek along with us with enough knowledge and experience that they can go back home feeling more confident on and off the trails!
- Day One We will meet at the Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center where we will get acquainted and once everyone has arrived, we will go to our campsite. This first night will be spent at an established campground in Yosemite Natl. Park where we will show you how to properly pack and fit a backpack, show you different types of gear, and give plenty of pointers before hitting the trail in the morning. We will leave some time on this day to ensure everyone has a time to check out the beautiful Tuolumne Meadows area.
- Day Two We will be waking up bright and early on this day to get you over to the Porcupine Creek Trailhead. This day is going to be one with some incredible views of a natural freestanding arch and one of the best views, if not THE best, of Half Dome! This day is mostly downhill with many flat sections of forest before opening up to the classic Yosemite granite. Throughout the day you will learn hands on skills in treating blisters, survival, handling first aid in the wilderness, filtering water, using backcountry stoves, setting up a proper camp in an active bear area, and we will give some pointers on outdoor cooking and prep.
- Day Three You'll be waking up with a glorious view of Half Dome being awoken by the rising morning sun. We will be moving bright and early so that everyone has plenty of time to learn how to properly pack up their camp in the most efficient and fitting way. Once everyone has some food, we will begin trekking north towards Yosemite Falls. This day will have some challenges for our adventurers as we will be putting a lot of the outdoor skills we taught from the previous days to use. Our team will be around to ensure that everyone has a great understanding about the gear we all have, navigiating the terrain using a map, and we will be discussing possible scenarios that can arise and how to overcome them. We will be setting up camp in the early afternoon after trekking for a few hours. After we set up camp, we will take a 2 hour roundtrip hike (without the packs...you'll be thankful!) to the top of Yosemite Falls to cool down and to see a mind blowing view of the Yosemite Valley. We'll head on back to camp after spending time at the falls to cook one last dinner together.
- Day Four We will pack up our camp and trek back on back up all the downhill we had from a few days prior! We will use a different trail going out to give you different view of the forest and the scenery we passed a few days prior. We will get you back to your cars around noon where we will pass out shirts, stickers, and say goodbye to our new trailfriends. That's right, you're going to leave with new friends to explore the world with!
Level of activity and difficulty
- If you have never backpacked before, no problem! No gear? No problem! While the route is moderate+, we get excited at the chance to teach someone the art and skills of backpacking. We make it our goal to teach you so much that you'll go home and look like a pro in front of your friends! Included in the adventure is the use of major backpacking gear: Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a tent. Unless you are in a party of two, three, or four, please know you'll be bunking with someone of the same gender. Please inquire about having a tent to yourself and we will see what we can do.
- Difficulty Rating: 4 We rate our adventures on a 1-5 scale with 1 being the easiest and 5 being the most strenuous. This is a level 4 adventure where we will take many breaks, stops, and will do all we can to ease the burden of backpacking on our adventurers and to make it as fun as possible!
- Training plans available Included in your adventure is an option to have a training and fitness plan sent to you to help you prepare!
- Transportation not provided but we do our best to link you up with other adventurers coming from your area, state, or city.
- Meeting spot is inside the park at a central location that is easy to find.
- Flying into Fresno or San Francisco airport would be your best bet as the drive isn't too far from Yosemite. We also recommend taking a look at YARTS as an alternative to driving into Yosemite from airports or other major locations.
- Included are backcountry dinners cooked by our team. We aim to make gourmet meals that are close to what you'd find in a restaurant! We won't hand you a bag of freeze dried or dehydrated food and say "Bon Appétit!" We pride ourselves on cooking up good tasting food!
- We also aim to work with dietary restrictions and needs. Before the adventure our team will communicate with you to ensure your needs are met.
- Because we believe in sustainability and helping our planet, we provide you with the use of a reusable mess kit that includes a coffee mug, plate/bowl, and eating utensils.
- Feel free to use our stoves/fuel to heat up your trail breakfasts or lunches. We don't want our adventurers to need to go out and buy a bunch of gear.
Dates: August 15-18, 2019
$499 Early REgistration by 6/15
$549 regular registration
Use of gear included
Difficulty rating: 4/5 Moderate+ Over 15 miles of adventure
$149 deposit secures your spot!
The use of backpacking gear
A complete hands on backpacking class that will teach you the skills from A-Z
Gourmet trail dinners
All backcountry permits
Expert and medically certified Adventure Specialists to aim for safety, guidance, and fun!
A recap video and plenty of photos from our team
A variety of wilderness and backpacking skills will be taught
An opportunity to help change the world
A custom tailored fitness plan to get you ready
An official Wilderness Trio shirt
A lifetime "membership" to be part of The Trio. You'll receive discounts on future adventures, gear rentals, and more!