Are you looking to improve your backpacking and land navigation skills? What better place to pick up more skills than Yosemite! Prepare for magic, adventure, and learning as you get the opportunity to backpack through a section of the majestic Yosemite National Park! Along the way you’ll get to see many backcountry lakes, steams, and meadows! Come explore cross country sections of Yosemite where you’ll feel like you have the park to yourself as we are hitting up some of the hidden gems of the park! This 4 day, 3 night adventure will take you through the beautiful backcountry of Yosemite to reconnect you back to nature like never before. This is an intermediate level backpacking trip where previous backpacking experience isn’t a must but it is highly recommended as we will be on trails that are smaller than the usual routes most are accustom to, climbing steep sections of passes, and maneuvering through some possible thick brush and or downed trees. It will elevate your backpacking and hiking game to the next level!
Experience and adventure in Yosemite with a medically certified and experienced Adventure Specialist who will be there to teach you several backpacking skills, motivate, encourage, and help you every step of way. We believe in equipping all of our adventurers who trek along with us with enough knowledge and experience that they can go back home feeling more confident on and off the trails!
- Day One We will meet at the Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center where we will get acquainted and once everyone has arrived, we will head on over to the trailhead to get everyone situated with gear. There we will show you how to properly pack and fit a backpack, show you different types of gear, and give plenty of pointers before hitting the trail. We will backpack on towards Nelson Lake while passing through meadows, streams, and endless views of the Yosemite granite landscapes and domes. While we will end up tackling the majority of the trip's total elevation gain (2200 ft) and about 5.5 miles, the day will end at the serene and quiet Nelson Lake to appreciate the day's challenges!
- Day Two We will be waking up bright and early on this day to get you over a small pass as we trek toward Matthes Lake. Getting up and over the small pass will require some land navigation skills so you can be sure you'll get a brief but informative lesson on the different tools and techniques to successfully cross unmarked trails and sections of wilderness. The day will end at what will seem like your own private lake... Matthes Lake where you can catch a gorgeous sunset while enjoying one of our gourmet backcountry dinners.
- Day Three We will end up leaving the quiet and remote backcountry as we trek towards the more populated sections of the John Muir Trail heading toward Cathedral Lakes. These lakes are stunning with incredible views of Cathedral Peak and the surrounding majestic granite mountains. We will be setting up camp in the early afternoon after trekking for a few hours so that we can get a nice swim in at the Lower Cathedral lake! After some swimming and laughter we'll head on back to camp to cook and feast on one last dinner together.
- Day Four We will pack up our camp and trek toward Tioga Road, which is mainly all downhill and shaded. We will get you back to your cars around 11am where we will pass out shirts, stickers, and say goodbye to our new trailfriends. You can even order yourself a well deserved cheeseburger and fries at the ending spot!
Level of activity and difficulty
- If you have never backpacked before, please contact us before you book your spot. No gear? No problem! This adventure will take place on smaller than usual trails that may have obstacles such as small river crossings, downed trees, and brush. Due to those reasons, we are recommending that you have previous backpacking experience. Included in the adventure is the use of major backpacking gear: Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a tent. Unless you are in a party of two, three, or four, please know you might be bunking with someone of the same gender. Please inquire about having a tent to yourself and we will see what we can do.
- Difficulty Rating: 4 We rate our adventures on a 1-5 scale with 1 being the easiest and 5 being the most strenuous. This is a level 4 adventure where we will take many breaks, stops, and will do all we can to ease the burden of backpacking on our adventurers and to make it as fun as possible!
- Training plans available Included in your adventure is an option to have a training and fitness plan sent to you to help you prepare!
- Transportation not provided but we do our best to link you up with other adventurers coming from your area, state, or city.
- Meeting spot is inside the park at a central location that is easy to find.
- Flying into the Reno-Tahoe Intl. airport would be your best bet as the drive less than 3 hours to the meeting spot. We also recommend taking a look at YARTS as an alternative to driving into Yosemite from airports or other major locations.
- Included are backcountry dinners cooked by our team. We aim to make gourmet meals that are close to what you'd find in a restaurant! We won't hand you a bag of freeze dried or dehydrated food and say "Bon Appétit!" We pride ourselves on cooking up good tasting food!
- We also aim to work with dietary restrictions and needs. Before the adventure our team will communicate with you to ensure your needs are met.
- Because we believe in sustainability and helping our planet, we provide you with the use of a reusable mess kit that includes a coffee mug, plate/bowl, and eating utensils.
- Feel free to use our stoves/fuel to heat up your trail breakfasts or lunches. We don't want our adventurers to need to go out and buy a bunch of gear.
Dates: September 5-8, 2019
$499 Early REgistration by 7/22
$549 regular registration
Use of gear included
Difficulty rating: 4/5 Moderate+ About 20 miles of adventure
$149 deposit secures your spot!
The use of backpacking gear
Gourmet trail dinners
All backcountry permits
Expert and medically certified Adventure Specialists to aim for safety, guidance, and fun!
A recap video and plenty of photos from our team
A variety of wilderness and backpacking skills will be taught
An opportunity to help change the world
A custom tailored fitness plan to get you ready
An official Wilderness Trio shirt
A lifetime "membership" to be part of The Trio. You'll receive discounts on future adventures, gear rentals, and more!